- Doc Structure
- A Globus Primer
- Installing GT
- Platform Notes
- Migrating from GT2
- Migrating from GT3
- PDF version
- Best Practices
- Coding Guidelines
- API docs
- Public Interfaces
- Resource Properties
- Performance Studies
Table of Contents
The Index Service collects monitoring and discovery information from Grid resources, and publishes it in a single location; generally, it is expected that a virtual organization will deploy one or more index services which will collect data on all of the Grid resources available within that virtual organization.
Features new in release 4.1.0
No new features in this release.
Other Supported Features
Based on WSRF rather than OGSI
- The index appears as a ServiceGroup (defined in WSRF) which lists registered resources alongside dynamically collected information from those resources. This information can be examined using (for example) XPath queries to discover resources that match desired constraints.
- Aggregated data is published through WS-Resource Properties mechanisms
- The Aggregator Framework module (basis of the index service) collects data from monitored resources using WS-Resource Properties collection mechanisms, including the base WS-Resource Properties poll operations and WS-Notification.
- Support for Xindice and aggregated data persistence has been removed.
- Persistent configuration of aggregations has been refactored. The service no longer has its own config file for specifying aggregations. Instead a separate client is used to make appropriate registrations. This client may be started alongside the container for the equivalent effect. The client may also be deployed elsewhere to support resource-side configuration (providing similar functionality to the GT3.2 RegistryPublishProvider) or at a third location.
- Non-ServiceGroupRegistration methods for managing aggregations have been removed; the equivalent functionality is available through the ServiceGroupRegistration port type which is available in both GT3.2 and GT 126.96.36.199 versions of the index service.
Other than bugfixes, there have been no changes for WS MDS Index Service since the last stable release, 4.0.2:
The following problems and limitations are known to exist for WS MDS Index Service at the time of the 4.1.0 release:
The Index Service depends on the following GT components:
The Index Service depends on the following 3rd party software:
Tested Platforms for WS-MDS Index Service:
- Linux on i386
- Windows XP
Tested containers for WS-MDS Index Service:
- Java WS Core container
- Tomcat 5.0.28
Protocol changes since GT version 4.0.2
- Generally incompatible with the GT 3.2 index service as the service has been remodelled to use WSRF instead of OGSI.
API changes since GT version 4.0.2
- The Aggregator Framework API used internally has retained the general flavor of the GT 3.2 Aggregator Framework API, but is not directly compatible with it.
Schema changes since GT version 4.0.2
- Schemas used for configuration and publishing are conceptually similar but are not compatible, primarily due to WSRF remodelling.
Associated standards for WS MDS Index:
- WS-ResourceProperties (WSRF-RP)
- WS-ResourceLifetime (WSRF-RL)
- WS-ServiceGroup (WSRF-SG)
- WS-BaseFaults (WSRF-BF)
See WS MDS Index Servicefor more information about this component.